The 1810 Goundie House, built by Moravian town brewer and businessman John Sebastian Goundie, is believed to be the first brick residence in Bethlehem and the first private home to reflect the new architectural American Federal style rather than the German Colonial style. Today, the Goundie House is a contributing property to the Historic Moravian Bethlehem National Historic Landmark District.
A distinctive feature of the home is the beehive baking oven connected to the kitchen fireplace on the first floor that does not extend on the exterior of the building.
The house was saved from demolition in the 1960s by Mrs. Sims and Mrs. Martin who sat on the stoop to stop the wrecking ball. It has been restored to its 1810 appearance both on the exterior and interior.