Donate your time and talents!
Have a passion for your community?
Give back to your community and become a volunteer at Historic Bethlehem Museums & Sites!
A wide variety of volunteer opportunities will use your skills, pique your interest, and help us bring history to life.
See the opportunities below or contact us with your own volunteer project idea. Hours are flexible.
Watch Head Burnside Volunteer Gardener, Pat Corpora, speak with Mike McGrath from PBS39/WLVT's You Bet Your Garden about:
- The history of Burnside's fabulous garden
- What we plant there today
- And how you can get involved!
The Historic Bethlehem Visitor Center welcomes volunteers interested in customer service experience.
Volunteers greet customers, answer questions about Historic Bethlehem Museums & Sites tours and offerings, and provide visitors with information on the greater Lehigh Valley area.
The museum host/hostess provides a welcoming atmosphere for museum visitors.
They are responsible for monitoring collections, assisting with daily museum operations and special events, and answering questions.
Docents & tour guides introduce museum guests to the heritage stories they find at our many historic sites. They may also be trained to provide seasonal tours.
Volunteers interested in being trained as docents will undergo site specific training enabling them to provide guests with engaging tours of the displayed collections.
Become a volunteer gardener for Historic Bethlehem Museums and Sites!
As a volunteer gardener with us, you will adopt a plot in the Burnside Plantation colonial garden or lend a hand at the gardens surrounding our historic sites.
All levels of gardeners are welcome!
This opportunity is great for groups!
Help us keep our sites looking their best by assisting with:
- post event cleaning
- regular landscaping
- routine walkthroughs to collect trash and recycling
Historic Bethlehem hosts a number of special events and festivals, such as the Blueberry Festival and the Turkey Trot that rely on the dedication and expertise of our many skilled volunteers.
Tasks include event set-up and administration as well as other event-specific needs.
Volunteers who are interested in event planning and administration can become special committee liaisons.
They attend meetings and assist with the planning and implementation of Historic Bethlehem's special events.
- Conduct tours through museum, historic sites from script to visitors.
- Share information regarding the mission of HBMS, present opportunities for support and educational and special event activities to the guests. Collect visitor statistics and encourage feedback on social media and HBMS website.
- Possess the ability to lead group tours and answer questions regarding our local history and sites, as well as conduct walk-through of galleries and report any issues to museum site manager.
- Must be capable of skillfully dealing with diversity of visitors under a variety of circumstances and communicate emergency management procedures to guests.
- Monitor visitor activities to ensure compliance with museum standards and security of guests and sites.
- Wear period appropriate costume when necessary
- Must have ability to provide exceptional guest experience
- Punctuality and dependability are a must
Don't wait - Get started on
your volunteer application today!
Under the age of 18? Complete the Junior Volunteer form below and bring it with you to your first shift. Underage volunteers MUST have a complete form in order to volunteer.
Or contact our Director of Development, Kristen Walsh, at 1.800.360.TOUR.
"I've been a volunteer at the Historic Bethlehem Visitor Center for nine years. Not only have I felt that I was doing my small part to support preserving Bethlehem's rich history, but, I've also enjoyed the opportunity to work with a lot of wonderful, dedicated people and to meet, talk to and personally welcome many visitors to our city. All in all, a lot of fun and very rewarding." - Jack K.
"Being a part of Historic Bethlehem has been a memorable and enriching experience. As a volunteer, I have been able to learn more about history and more about myself. The memories I have made here from working at the Blueberry Festival and in the Visitor Center have been worth every minute of my time." - Hannah B.